Thursday, January 14, 2010

Abstract Foot Drawing

This is a drawing that I did in art class of my senior year in high school. I sat at a table with five other students, and our teacher had us scribble something, without looking, onto each one of our papers. After your paper made the cycle around the table and got back to you, the goal of the project was to see a form within the scribbles that you could create into an image. After some close examination and with the help of my imagination, I found a shape that resembled a foot within the curved lines. Actually, a foot with four toes of differing lengths. Also, there was a circular shape in the area where a second toe should have been located, which I made into a ring. I was going to try to make the zig-zag scribble on the foot into some kind of tattoo, but then I saw that it reminded me of the back of a corset. The ribbon, ring, and corset are all feminine, and I thought they went together nicely. I used the method of value shading with the tools of a pencil, compressed and vine charcoal, and cotton balls for smudging and blending. I love black and white, especially in photography and clothing. I thought that a contrast between the gray background and the white foot, as well as the black and white striped ribbon would make for a cool effect. Some lines were added/revised to create the toe nails, as well as parts of the corset. I don't really consider myself to have much talent as an artist. However, I was proud of this drawing, and it was a really fun project.

















No comments:

Post a Comment